Sunday, April 12, 2009

Celebrating My Lagniappe Life

Sunday April 5, 2009 will go down as one of the most memorable days of my life because in the presence of my family, friends and church, and with my dear, sweet Uncle Nelson at my side, I professed my faith and was dunked in the name of Jesus Christ!

Jesus has been doing some amazing things in my life both physically and spiritually. Last weekend was all about celebrating God’s amazing grace and incredible love with my wonderful family and dearest of friends. We all started the day attending Sunday morning worship service together where I was baptized and then spent a great day together in fellowship and feasting on a yummy cochon de lait cooked by my wonderful dad. Of course, being in south Louisiana, everyone brought a side dish or desert and we had a huge Cajun feast fit for Kings.

Many people have asked me why I would choose to be baptized again given the fact that I was baptized when I was a baby. I decided to write this blog to share the story behind my decision:

Last year, I was living what I would describe as an average Christian life and although I had been searching for a new church to get involved in, I honestly don’t think I was seeking a deeper relationship with God. God, on the other hand, was definitely seeking a deeper relationship with me. After years of living with a severe visual impairment and after being told I would need another kidney and pancreas transplant, God stepped in and not only rejuvenated my failing organs but also restored my lost vision opening my eyes to see more clearly both physically and spiritually. He allowed me to see that through my illness, I was able to experience His amazing grace, love and goodness. He also used a disaster like Hurricane Gustav to allow me to meet some of the most wonderful people that would teach me, mentor me in my spiritual walk and get me into a church that I can now call home. A place where I can learn, serve, connect, grow and for the first time in my life, learn what true salvation means. Finding my salvation not only changed my life but also changed my eternity.

In my life, I have had more than my share of unfavorable medical prognosis and from all standpoints, there is no physical explanation of why I am still here on this earth. It is only because God has chosen to keep me here and I know one day He will reveal to me the reason why he has done so. Here in south Louisiana, there is a French term we often use called lagniappe meaning an unexpected gift. This extra time that God has given me to stay on this earth allowing me to build a deeper relationship with Him and to finally understand and accept His free gift of salvation is truly a blessing and undeniably my “lagniappe”. God is the only reason that I have this lagniappe time. He chose for me to stay here and so this life I have now is no longer my own. This lagniappe life I’m living now belongs to Him and He can use it for His will.

After making the decision to live my lagniappe life for Jesus, I felt the next step I needed to take was to profess my decision and my faith publicly. This is done through baptism. 37 years ago, two of the most loving parents and two of the most loving Godparents stood before their church and my family and professed my faith for me as I was baptized in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. Although I have the highest respect for them for doing that on my behalf, I feel that salvation is a personal decision between me and God, and the only way to enter God's kingdom is if I accept it for myself.

What is important to understand here is that after studying God’s Truth, my entire belief system about baptism has changed. I believe that salvation is a prerequisite to being baptized NOT the other way around as I previously thought. My baptism is a symbol of my salvation and a symbol only. Just as a wedding ring symbolizes marriage, a baptism symbolizes salvation. Being baptized does not make me saved any more than wearing a wedding ring would make me married. Being baptized by no means guarantees me a free ticket to heaven. If I had not first accepted God’s free gift of salvation, Pastor Kirk could have dunked me a thousand times and the only thing guaranteed is that I would be soaking wet, extremely exhausted and left gasping for air. Salvation is God’s free gift available to all of us. What I have learned is there is absolutely no amount of great works anyone can possibly do to deserve or earn it. All we have to do is just be willing to accept it. I just keep asking myself why it took me so long to figure that out.

Being baptized during this Easter season was particularly special because water baptism symbolizes the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. You see, Jesus Christ died for you and He died for me. All of our sins were nailed to the cross with Jesus and it was only through His death that all of our sins could be buried. When Pastor Kirk completely submerged me in the water and baptized me in the name of Jesus, all of those incorrect beliefs I had, all of my wrong ways of thinking, and all of my sins were submerged in the water with me. As I rose up out of the water, I was overcome with an amazing feeling of freshness and cleanness knowing that everything wrong in my past life was left submerged and buried in that water - FOREVER. I rose up as a new creation in Christ ready for my new life where I will follow the ways of the Lord as he guides me and teaches me. You see, now I know the TRUTH. Once I accepted God’s free gift of salvation I can no longer fear death. For no matter what prognosis I get and no matter what the outcome, I have a new found immortality. I will have eternal life through Jesus Christ.

So, whoever reads this.... Please read my words carefully. JESUS loves YOU. He loves you more than anyone of this world could possibly love you. More than the most loving parent on earth would love their sweetest child. Believe in Jesus so you can be saved and have eternal life. It’s as easy as ABC - Admit that you are a sinner and repent, Believe that Jesus is God’s son and He paid the penalty for our sins and Confess your faith. Invite Him in your life and receive all the love and blessings He desperately wants to pour upon you. Once all of that is done, please be sure to invite me to be a witness at YOUR water baptism.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! Love thstexplanation of what baptism sybolizes. Also love your spirit - it energizes me!

Anonymous said...

Donna,
I LOVE this post!! I love your enthusiasm and your "fire" for your lagniappe life and the way you are chosing to spend it! You continue to be such a blessing to me and an inspiration! Such a small person (in physical sense only) but such a HUGE heart and love for Jesus, family and friends!! I am so happy to be able to witness this! I love you in my life and LOVE you more than you can know! I read your blog and love it! You need to post more often. You have a gift for writing and a definite gift for giving perspective in this crazy world. You need to maximize your lagniappe life and it seems to me you are doing just that. I love you and I am so proud of you and I was very touched and honored to witness your baptism. Thanks for inviting me.
love,
Sheila

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Donna my beloved sister. God has a huge annointing on your life. What you wrote was great! There is no theology in the world that can teach a Christian what God has placed inside you. You are more advanced in your Christian walk than most students in thier second year of ministry school. I mean that. You need to keep walking like a baby that needs milk because God is preparing a huge steak dinner of solid food for you to share with the world. Pay attention to your surroundings and continue to find meaning and purpose in every person you meet and every situation you encounter.

Keep a diary of your life and blessings.
you are awesome and you are a testimony and encourage me also. I am delighted as to what God is doing in you. There will be many led to Christ because of you. Don't pamper people but have compassion. God's word and the Holy Spirit has come on us so that we can be bold when we need to be. Christians are not wimps. If we were we could not carry the cross we bare. The biggest strongest man who is not a Christian does not stand a chance against a 80lb Christian filled with his spirit. We are equiped to whoop the giants that we face. You have whipped more giants than any one I know. You have walked through the valley of death. You were blind and now can see physically and spiritually. Your life has brought to life many scriptures of miricals so that other blind eyes can see.

Love you

Big Bro

Kristen said...

Donna,
I am so maoved by your words. You are such an inspiration to me and to our entire family. Thank you for inviting me to both your church and to your baptism celebration. I WILL get back to church as soon as I can (probably next trimester).

I'm so glad that you are my family.

I love you,
Kristen

Anonymous said...

AMEN and AMEN !
Great job Donna. I really enjoyed reading your blog regarding your babtism. May God continue to bless you in your works.
Love, Dad

Anonymous said...

Dear Donna,
What a blessing to be baptized again! That is so wonderful. I'm so happy that you have found your 'home'. A comfortable and wonderful place to worship. That is so important. To be around such wonderful and loving people. And you have a loving and wonderful and supporting family too. You are so blessed to be feeling so much better. I know God is working wonders in your life!

Many more blessings,
Love,
Peggy R.

Anonymous said...

Lil'D,

Awesome, absolutely awesome! YOU are such a blessing to us in so many ways! Great words with deep meanings from someone who has been through the fire. We were also honored to be present at this very special time in you life and feel you are our lagniappe. Thank you for inviting us! WE love you Lil'D! Love you! R&R

Anonymous said...

Donna, Donna, Donna...
How Blessed we were in seeing the powerful statement you made with your Baptism, as a snapshot of your new found Faith! Your snapshot showed us how the God of all Creation, wants to have a personal relationship with us each moment of our lives. So many of us have gotten caught up in 'religious experiences' that we miss the real experiences He wants us to have with us each day. We are blessed to have you as a neighbor. Know that we are praying for you each day. One of the littlest angels is shouting His Greatness! bill and brenda