Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Loving the Unloveable

Loving people who are outgoing, happy and filled with joy and kindness are easy to love. Oh, how I wish everyone was like that. The truth is however, that there are many people in our close daily lives who are difficult to love, who no matter what, can never be pleased or encouraged enough. After spending extended periods of times around their negative attitudes, I am often left feeling drained and defeated. I often ask myself why do I bother? Why do I set myself up for what seems to be an endless cycle of rejection, hurt and sadness? What makes a person so difficult to love? Is it something I did or did not do? Are their hearts just empty and starved for love? Have they ever experienced unconditional love? And if so, have they forgotten how joyful and liberating it can be? How do I cope? My first instinct is to ignore, avoid are argue with them but wouldn’t that just make me difficult to love as well?

As a Christian, I have to remember that only showing love to those who easily love you in return is not pleasing to our Lord. If I only show love to “loveable” people, my walk with the Lord will be hindered. Luke 6: 32-33But if you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them. And if you do good to those who do good to you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners do the same.”

I don’t believe it’s possible for us to love others the way we should without God’s help. Love comes from God. It is not just an emotion, but a deliberate decision to do what is best for someone. I must remember to pray for the people who are difficult to love in my life so that their hearts will soften and to not judge them as I have no idea of the circumstances in their lives that have brought them to this point.

After spending a wonderful week of fun, fellowship and prayer with two dear and precious friends, I am left feeling very loved and my heart is full. As I reflect back on last week with a smile, I now come to the realization that God has blessed me with many wonderful friends and family in my life who constantly pour their love into me. Their unconditional love along with God’s powerful love causes my heart to overflow and I now realize that there is certainly enough love in my heart for me to freely start giving some away, unconditionally, with no expectations of return.

God constantly pursues a love relationship with each one of us. He knows us and he wants us to know him. He gives us unconditional love, HE loves us regardless of what we have done, HE loves us not because we are obedient, but simply because HE is love. There is not one thing that ever keeps God from pursuing us. I realize this and know that I can never stop pursuing the broken relationships in my life. I think of how merciful God has been to me this past year although I did nothing to deserve it and know that He wants me to show that same mercy to others. I pray that God will help me to see people through HIS eyes. I pray for him to give me the strength to not let them drain or break me and the strength to love them as HE loves them.

No comments: