Thursday, November 27, 2008

A Year of Thanksgiving

We celebrated Thanksgiving dinner last Sunday at Fellowship church and before we ate our meal, we separated into small groups, shared communion and each took a turn to say what we were most thankful for this year. How could I possibly say all that I am thankful for this year in just one sentence??? No, that’s just not possible for me, so I had to carry that one over to my blog. So here goes….

To me, this is not just Thanksgiving Day, it has been a Thanksgiving YEAR, filled with blessings of great multitudes. I am extremely thankful that I did not have to go on dialysis, take insulin shots or have another transplant this year as the doctors predicted I would. I am even more thankful for my eyesight that has been restored and my new found independence because of it. I am thankful for my loving family and all of the wonderful new friends that God has placed in my life this year. I am thankful for a job that I love and that my boss has moved my office from downtown Baton Rouge to just 2 miles from my house. (Which reminds me that I am also thankful that gas is now $1.87 a gallon and not $4.00!)

During the past few months, I often find myself daydreaming or lying awake in bed continuously thanking God for all of my blessings this year. He is so awesome! I am in such awe of how much my life has changed from just one year ago. It took so much of my energy to drag myself to work each day. Always sick and exhausted, I barely managed to make it through the work week then spent all weekend in bed recovering, just to start it all over again on Monday. My mom had to drive me everywhere I went and help me to do all of the physical things I needed to do. Wow! What a year of transformation it has been! I was able to travel to France, I have moved into my new home, my eyesight has been restored, I can drive myself to work and to the store, carry my own groceries, clean my own house and I now spend my Sunday mornings at bible study and church rather than in bed sick. I feel great both physically and spiritually and for the first time in years, I feel like I am alive again. I just want to freeze this year in time so that I can enjoy it forever!

Of course, I am thankful for all of these wonderful blessings that God has so graciously bestowed upon me but I am also thankful for the trials that I have experienced to get to this point. By going through the trials, I have learned so many lessons I could not have learned any other way. It has taught me to appreciate the little things in life, to know the importance of always saying I love you to the ones you care about, to deepen great relationships and to repair the broken ones. But, most importantly, it has brought me to my knees and made me discover who our God really is. THAT is what has made the biggest impact in my life. No matter what the future brings, I know that He is in control and will be by my side to strengthen me and carry me through.

Thank you God for so perfectly planning my life and being in control!

No comments: